…but I made bagels!
It never occurred to me that anybody could. It was simpler than I had imagined and I can’t wait to try some new flavors. Try it out…
Cinnamon Whole Wheat Egg Bagels
- 3/4 c. lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbl. sugar
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- In a small bowl, add the sugar and yeast to the water. Let sit until yeast is dissolved. Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer or by hand until well incorporated. Empty dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until dough is smooth and uniform. Let rise for 20 minutes, or doubled in size.
- Punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and then divide each part into 3 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball, punch a hole in center. Pull gently to make a 1-2 inch hole. Let rise 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts water and 2 tbl. sugar to boiling. Place a few bagels at a time in boiling water. Simmer 3 minutes, turning each bagel once. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with 1 slightly beaten egg white. Bake @ 375* for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and cool.
- Slather with cream cheese and enjoy!